Do I Need Help Because Of My Gambling? Posted On
There have been great efforts to reduce the stigma for getting help with problem gambling. That’s because people deserve the opportunity to improve their lives by receiving the proper help for their gambling problem. Every day people, who were haunted by their gambling, are getting the help they need to live happier, more fulfilling lives.
Do I need help because of my gambling?
If you’re asking yourself this question, it wouldn’t hurt to see a mental health professional for an evaluation. Here are some signs that you may be in need of help:
- Feeling restless or irritable when attempting to cut down or stop gambling
- Lying to conceal the extent of involvement with gambling
- Needing to gamble with increasing amounts of money
- Preoccupied with thoughts of gambling
- Gambling when feeling stressed
What are some consequences of gambling?
If you feel you may be exhibiting some of the above listed signs, you may want to seek some assistance with your gambling. Problem gambling is a treatable mental health disorder. If you’re struggling with it, you are certainly not alone. Many people are experiencing the consequences that you may be faced with. Some of these consequences from gambling include:
- Haunted by bill collectors
- Disrupted sleep due to gambling
- Self-destructive thoughts due to gambling
- Lost time from work, school or with family due to gambling
- Growing distrust from loved ones due to broken promises to stop gambling
These are only some of the consequences associated with problem gambling. Problem gambling can have devastating effects on your health, your relationships, and every aspect of your life.
Gambling may be affecting many other parts of your life
If you find that gambling is affecting other areas of your life, finding help may be a great start. With the right help, you will begin to understand the negative effects that gambling has had on your life and how you can begin to make lifestyle changes to mend the problems gambling has created.
There is Help and Hope
Help is available in many locations across NYS. The best way to locate the available help in your area is by calling the NYS HOPEline by dialing 1-877-8-HOPENY. You can also text if you’re uncomfortable calling. This toll-free number offers the assistance of a trained clinician to help you locate the best available help near you for your gambling problems.