Problem Gambling Spring Cleaning Posted On
It’s time for spring cleaning. While you’re looking in the deep, dark places of your home to remove clutter, it may be time to look into yourself. This can be a great time to take your life in a new direction by seeking help for problem gambling.
The Clutter of Problem Gambling
Like dust, pet hair and kids’ toys can clutter your home during the winter, problem gambling can clutter your life. Problem gambling can take over all aspects of your day to day thoughts and activities. Here are a few examples:
- Gambling may be cluttering your thoughts. Do you find yourself constantly thinking about past and upcoming gambling activities? Are you thinking about the money you’ve lost and your hope for the next big win to cover these losses?
- Gambling may be taking over your time. Do you spend more time now than you used to on gambling activities? Are you spending less time with friends and family, and missing special events because you feel the need to gamble?
- Gambling may be taking over your life. Are you avoiding family or friends because you owe them money? Due to your gambling, do you show up home happy one day and angry another, causing tension at home? Worst yet, are you may be starting to feel like you’ll never stop gambling?
Problem gambling can have a negative impact on your mental health, relationships with loved ones, and your ability to do well at work. You may be thinking to yourself,
“I know I gamble, but how do I know if I’m struggling with problem gambling?”
If you’re unsure, you can ask yourself these two questions:
- Have you ever had to lie to people important to you about how much you gambled?
- Have you ever felt the need to bet more and more money?
If you answered “yes” to either of these 2 questions, you may have a gambling problem. The good news is that you’re not alone, and that services are available to help you.
Understanding Problem Gambling
Problem gambling is a treatable condition. That means, like working to clear the clutter in your home, you can clear the clutter caused by gambling through work with some assistance.
Problem gambling does NOT define you!
You are not the disease of problem gambling. You may be struggling with it now, but working through struggles only makes people stronger. With help, you can work through these struggles and become a stronger person. Problem gambling can become just a part of your past.
Action Steps for Success
Learn about problem gambling. There is a growing body of information about problem gambling. One of the biggest problem gambling resources is KnowTheOdds.org, which is where you’re reading this article. Here, you’ll find eBooks, blog posts, videos and other media to help educate you, and anyone else, interested to learn more. Knowledge is power, so get powerful!
Reach out for help. No one ever did anything amazing on their own. People make great strides in their life with the support system they have and build. Architects need a team to design a structure and a team to build it. Politicians need a supporting family and a campaign team to get elected. If you want greatness, just like everyone else, you’ll need a team and your local Problem Gambling Resource Center is ready to be on your team. Find out what services and resources are in your local community at NYProblemGamblingHELP.org, today.
We hope this spring is a time of great growth and joy for you and your family.